Helping 20 Million Americans a Year for 20 Years. FREE!
Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776

Expunging/Setting Aside Juvenile Adjudication Records in Michigan

UPDATED: March 10, 2020

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident law decisions. Finding trusted and reliable legal advice should be easy. This doesn't influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

You must file a petition to have a juvenile adjudication record expunged. From here on, the terms "expunge" and "set aside" will be used interchangeably. In Michigan, both terms refer to the same legal remedy: removing your criminal conviction from the public record kept by the Michigan State Police, so that no one other than certain, specifically allowed agencies may pull up the conviction during a criminal record check.

Eligibility: Certain types of crimes are disqualified from expungement, even for juvenile adjudications. If any of the following situations apply, you may not apply for expungement of your juvenile adjudication record:

  1. You committed an offense that if committed by an adult would be punishable by a life imprisonment term.
  2. You committed one of the juvenile violations defined in MCL 712A.2d(9), including assault with intent to commit murder, armed assault with intent to rob and steal, burning a dwelling house, etc.
  3. You violated a traffic law (or similar local ordinance involving operating a vehicle) that at the time of the violation was a felony or misdemeanor.
  4. You have more than one conviction, whether as a juvenile or an adult.
  5. You are not yet 24 years old.
  6. 5 years have not passed from:

a. the date judgment was imposed in your case, if you weren't detained or imprisoned; or
b. if you were detained, from the date you were released from detention.

You should consider hiring a criminal lawyer to assist you through this process. Many will give free initial consultations.

For more information on Michigan's law, click the following articles:

Overview of Michigan Criminal Record Expungements

Expunging or Setting Aside Adult Criminal Records in Michigan: Eligibility

Process for Expunging Adult Criminal Records in Michigan

Process for Expunging/Setting Aside Juvenile Records in Michigan

Do I Need an Attorney to Expunge my Criminal Record in Michigan?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential

Call us today for a free consultation (855) 466-5776