How long must I stay in juvenile hall for a juvenile crime?

If you are a juvenile who is arrested and detained, your state's laws and the juvenile court judge determine the length of your stay in juvenile hall. You may be allowed to leave juvenile hall after your first court appearance. A juvenile court judge may require you to stay in juvenile hall until after your trial or sentencing hearing. The seriousness of your juvenile crime charge, your behavior in juvenile court, and your actions in juvenile hall determine whether the juvenile court judge will release you from custody. Juveniles who are charged with a violent offense are more likely to be ordered to remain in custody. If you are being charged as an adult in criminal court, you may be detained in a county jail.

Juvenile hall may also be called a Youth Detention Center or a Juvenile Detention Center. Usually, the name of a specific juvenile hall is preceded by the county, city, or parish that maintains the facility. An example is the Orange County Juvenile Hall.

Juvenile hall is a secure temporary detention facility. In many ways it is similar to a county jail. It is used as a holding facility for juveniles who are awaiting their court date for their juvenile crime. It is unlike a jail in that most juveniles who are sentenced to a brief period of detention do not return to juvenile hall. They must go to another secure detention facility or to a non-secure detention facility. If a juvenile is sentenced for their juvenile crime but has another court date, they may remain in Juvenile Hall until they are sentenced in the second case.

A typical day in juvenile hall involves meals, chores, educational programs, counseling, and group activities. Juvenile halls typically have visiting hours on certain days and times. A juvenile who is in custody in juvenile hall has limited privacy rights. They may only possess items that are allowed by the facility. Boys and girls have separate sleeping areas. They may interact during certain group activities. If arrested for a juvenile crime, contact a juvenile lawyer for further information on juvenile hall and juvenile court.